Welcome to Damascus Road Christian Assembly, we are a community of believers located in rural Nevada; united in our faith and committed to the cause of serving the Lord Jesus Christ. The list below, is not a comprehensive list of our beliefs, it is not meant to be. It is merely a statement of faith which describes what we believe to be the fundamentals of our Christian faith. We are aware, that in the days in which we live, that some of the statements may seem very controversial and offensive. We however, remain committed in not only accurately portraying the truths of the Bible but living them out in our church and through our lives.
What We Believe
1. The scriptures of the Old & New Testaments as being verbally inspired by God and are inerrant (free from error) and infallible (trustworthy) in the original writings, and they are the final authority. Therefore, Bible teaching (expository) is of extreme importance. And that God through the scriptures has provided everything we need for a fruitful Christian life.
2. In a young earth, that God created everything in six literal days and He rested on the seventh. We believe that this is the only view truly faithful to the Scriptures and that it fits the scientific evidence better than any of the old-earth evolutionary based theories.
3. In one God eternally existing in one essence, yet co-equal persons, the trinity: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
4. The deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, and in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious, and atoning death, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of God the Father, and in His personal future return to this earth in power and glory to rule a thousand years.
5. In the Holy Spirit, the third person of the Trinity, who convicts the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment. He is the life of the believer and He empowers the preaching and teaching of the Gospel.
6. That God in the beginning made everything good, and that mankind lived in relationship with God and also in harmony with His creation. That mankind was also created in the image of God, but having disobeyed God, they sinned, and thereby incurred not only physical death, but spiritual death, which is eternal separation from God, and that this sinful nature has been passed down to all of humanity and thus all human beings are born with a sinful nature.
7. The only means of being cleansed from sin is through repentance and faith in the precious blood of Jesus Christ, through which, the sinner has been declared righteous by God (Justification).
8. Regeneration (born again) by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential for personal salvation.
9. In the sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit, by who’s indwelling, the Christian is enabled to live a holy life (Sanctification).
10. In the resurrection of both the saved and the lost, the one to everlasting life (Glorification), and the other to everlasting damnation.
11. That the worship of God is done in “Spirit and in Truth” it should be a spiritual experience and be both intelligent and fruitful. Therefore, we remain flexible and yielded to the leading of the Holy Spirit to direct our worship, and a prominent place is given to music through the singing of psalms and hymns and spiritual songs.
12. That the Lord Jesus instituted two ordinances for His Church: 1) Water baptism, which is done as an act of obedience and administered in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. This symbolizes repentance, faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and is a public confession of His Lordship in the life of the believer. 2) The Lord’s Supper, a symbolic meal in which Christians remember the Lord’s sacrifice continually and proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes.
13. That marriage is a divine institution ordained by the Creator and Savoir of the world, defined as being between one man and one woman and governed by His authority. This truth was instituted and sealed from the beginning at the first wedding by God himself. Since it is not the invention man, man does not have the right to redefine it.
14. Biblical headship as defined by the Bible, which affirms the following: That both man and woman were created in God’s image, equal before Him. That each was created distinct in their manhood and womanhood, each with their own roles as ordained by God. Each role has been given value and dignity by God. Therefore one role is no better than the other, just different. That Adam’s headship was established by God before the fall, and was not a result of sin. God has established from the beginning a divine order, a pattern in which the family is to function, and He has placed man to function as the head of the home. For more clarity on this matter see the Danvers Statement.
15. That church discipline is necessary and one of the most loving acts that can be applied to a brother or sister who have lost their way. We are not fault finders, but if and when the need should arise church discipline will be applied lovingly, humbly, and without partiality; with the purpose of restoring the wayward Christian; first to God and then the Body of Christ.
16. We believe that life begins at conception (fertilization), and because human life is made in the image of God, all life is precious. We believe that the unborn child is just that, a child, a human being, and just as valuable to God as a child that has already been born. Our right to life, ordained by the God of the universe, is at the core of a just society. It demands the unflagging leadership of the church, as we strive to uphold life as the Life-giver meant us to.
We must settle in our minds that there is a God, that the Word of God must certainly be true, absolutely infallible, and beyond all question. Charles Spurgeon